Banks can charge various fees, such as for account management or for every transfer. There are other types of account in addition to the checking account (Girokonto). It is worth making comparisons when choosing a bank. To select the right account for you, we recommend a personal consultation with several banks.
When you have chosen a bank and want to open an account, you will need the following documents:
registration certificate for your place of residence
depending on the account type, a wage slip from your employer
With these documents, you can request a checking account and an EC card from the bank of your choice.
These questions might help you during your consultation to select a bank:
• How much are the account management fees?
• Does the account pay interest?
• How much interest?
• Can I set up repeat payments?
• Is a specific minimum monthly amount required to be paid in to the checking account?
• Is it possible to set up a line of credit to overdraw the checking account? If so, how high is this credit line?
• What is the interest rate for the credit line?
• Can I designate another authorised party to the account (such as a spouse)?
• Is it possible to withdraw money immediately after opening the account?
• Where is it possible to withdraw money at no cost?
• Can I request a credit card? If so, when would I receive it?
You have chosen your bank? The Rhineland-Palatinate Welcome Center is happy to assist you in opening your bank account.