Courses of study

A wide variety of courses of study are available, including in engineering, medicine, natural sciences and economics as well as the social sciences and humanities, design, art and music. The universities meet international standards and offer bachelor and master degrees as well as strong connections to other universities around the world. Students also benefit from the universities' excellent relations with research institutes and local business. This provides students with good access to internships and thesis opportunities.

Types of study

Foreign students enrolled in a German university who want to earn a German university degree will choose to study full time. If you only want to study for a shorter period at a German university (one or two semesters), then a partial course is the right choice. Foreign students doing a partial course receive accreditation for the classes taken (credits) instead of a degree.

Prerequisites for study

To enrol in university in Rhineland-Palatinate, you must fulfil certain conditions:

If you earned a qualifying certificate in Germany in a Gymnasium or an educational track at a vocational school (Fachhochschulreife or Hochschulreife), or went to night school or preparatory classes to earn one later, you can enrol in a course of study in a technical university or university in the state.

If you earned a master craftsman certificate (Meisterbrief) or have equivalent professional certification, you can also enrol in any course of study at a university or technical university in the state.

If you have completed a qualifying apprenticeship, i.e. with overall marks of 2.5 or better, followed by at least two years of professional experience, you can also – without the corresponding school certificate – enrol in any course of study at technical university, or in courses that are related to your qualifications at universities in Rhineland-Palatinate.




Accreditation of secondary and post-secondary degrees

If you earned the right to attend university in your home country and would like to study in Rhineland-Palatinate, you need accreditation of your degree. If you have a certificate of secondary school graduation from your country of origin, this is verified in Rhineland-Palatinate to see if it is comparable to the German equivalent. You can find information about studying in Rhineland-Palatinate for foreign students from the universities' Academic Foreign Offices.

Many different offices in the states are responsible for accreditation of foreign qualifications, depending on the purpose. These offices can request a certificate in specific situations, or general information about the relevant country and its education system from the ZAB (central office for foreign education). This information can also be accessed in the “anabin” database at

The ZAB issues an individual assessment of certificate upon request for individuals with a foreign university degree. Immigrants who want to work in Germany can benefit from this service, as state accreditation does not exist for every professional qualification.

Check the DAAD database to learn whether and for which of your country's degrees this applies. You can also find out there whether you will need additional tests for approval.

Is your school degree from your country of origin not comparable to the German equivalent? No worries, you still have the opportunity to study in Rhineland-Palatinate. You have the possibility of earning the qualification to enter university in a university preparatory course. Such a course takes one or two semesters. You can find information on the websites of the preparatory schools in Mainz ( and Kaiserslautern (

Or have you already completed studies in your home country and want to earn a master degree in Rhineland-Palatinate? Then you should have your university degree accredited in Germany before arriving. The database of the Standing Conference of State Education Ministers has information about accreditation of your diploma, You can also check with the academic foreign office or the international office of your desired university. You can find these addresses on the DAAD website,

Are you interested in studying while you work? This is a possibility in Rhineland-Palatinate. Courses of study are offered as full-time, part-time or distance courses. In this way you can gain professional experience in Germany and still follow a course of theoretical study. You can learn more at

Taking German language classes

If you choose to apply for a German-language study course, you must prove that you have sufficient knowledge of German (at least level B2). It is best to take a German test in your home country before you arrive. You can do so, for example, at the 158 Goethe Institutes worldwide. You can find the Institute nearest you on the “Germany near you” interactive world map at Additional information about language tests is available on the “” website.

The usual certificates are the “Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber” (DSH) and the “Test für Deutsch als Fremdsprache” (TestDaf). Both are recognised equally. If you attended a German school abroad or a university preparatory school, you do not need to pass this test.

Accreditation of German degrees abroad

We hope that you will like it here in Rhineland-Palatinate so much that you want to stay here after graduating. However, if you wish to return to your home country later, your German bachelor and master degrees will be recognised. This is not true for state exams in law, medicine, pharmacy or for teaching degrees. You should therefore check at an early stage which courses of study offer you the best career opportunities.

State universities and technical schools in Rhineland-Palatinate do not charge tuition for the initial course of study. Students need only pay registration or administrative fees. This semester fee that students must pay primarily comprises a semester pass for public transportation, student council dues and a contribution for student body tasks.

Learn about stipends

Would you like to finance your studies with a scholarship? Many institutions in Germany offer monthly financial assistance for students who meet certain standards. These might involve good marks or perhaps volunteer work. However, you should be aware that scholarships are rarely awarded for the first semester in Germany. Students in later semesters and graduates from abroad can apply for a scholarship from the DAAD. Some private institutions also support students from abroad.

Find out more about possibilities for financial support from the DAAD and other assistance organisations for international students on the DAAD website.

Applying for university

There are two ways to apply for university. You can apply to many universities and technical universities via a specific organisation, Uni-Assist. You can learn which universities are involved on the Uni-Assist website.
If your desired university is not served by Uni-Assist, you can send your application directly to the university or technical university. Find the mailing address for your desired university on the German University Compass website:

If you want to begin your studies in the winter semester, you must generally apply by 15 July at the latest. To begin studying in the summer, you should generally submit your application by 15 January. Additional conditions and deadlines may apply for specific courses of study. In some departments you need a specific grade point average or must pass an entrance exam, for example. You can learn more on the website.

Prospective students from third countries who would like to study in Germany will find additional details at: and at